Anthem, Inc. Medical Director (Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, OB&GYN) in Richmond, Virginia
SHIFT: Day Job
Your Talent. Our Vision. At Anthem, Inc., it’s a powerful combination, and the foundation upon which we’re creating greater access to care for our members, greater value for our customers, and greater health for our communities. Join us and together we will drive the future of health care.
This is an exceptional opportunity to do innovative work that means more to you and those we serve at one of America's leading health care companies and a Fortune Top 50 Company.
We hiring a Medical Director for the Commercial line of business. Responsible for the administration of physical and/or behavioral health medical services, to ensure the appropriate and most cost effective medical care is received. May be responsible for developing and implementing programs to improve quality, cost, and outcomes. May provide clinical consultation and serve as clinical/strategic advisor to enhance clinical operations. May identify cost of care opportunities. May serve as a resource to staff including Medical Director Associates. May be responsible for an entire clinical program.
Primary duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Supports clinicians to ensure timely and consistent responses to members and providers.
• Provides guidance for clinical operational aspects of a program.
• Conducts peer-to-peer clinical reviews with attending physicians or other providers to discuss review determinations, and patients’ office visits with providers and external physicians.
• May conduct peer-to-peer clinical appeal case reviews with attending physicians or other ordering providers to discuss review determinations.
• Serves as a resource and consultant to other areas of the company.
• May be required to represent the company to external entities and/or serve on internal and/or external committees.
• May chair company committees. Interprets medical policies and clinical guidelines.
• May develop and propose new medical policies based on changes in healthcare.
• Leads, develops, directs and implements clinical and non-clinical activities that impact health care quality cost and outcomes.
• Identifies and develops opportunities for innovation to increase effectiveness and quality.
Requires MD or DO and Board certification approved by one of the following certifying boards is required, where applicable to duties being performed, American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA). Board certified in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, OB&GYN, or Pediatrics.
Must possess an active unrestricted medical license to practice medicine or a health profession.
Unless expressly allowed by state or federal law, or regulation, must be located in a state or territory of the United States when conducting utilization review or an appeals consideration and cannot be located on a US military base, vessel or any embassy located in or outside of the US.
Minimum of 5 years of clinical experience; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
Utilization Management experience for a managed care organization strongly preferred.
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
Anthem, Inc. has been named as a Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, is ranked as one of the 2020 World’s Most Admired Companies among health insurers by Fortune magazine, and a 2020 America’s Best Employers for Diversity by Forbes. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.antheminc.com. An Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran. Anthem promotes the delivery of services in a culturally competent manner and considers cultural competency when evaluating applicants for all Anthem positions.